Sunday, July 19, 2009

Week two

This week we learned about probability. The teacher use dice, cards and a coin. I like how my teacher was able to teach me about probability with common things. One thing that I liked in class was that, I learned that rolling snake eyes on a dice is a one in 36 chance when using two dice. The class also learn that getting a four of a kind is very slim. This is how I remember it

I need four matching cards so I draw one card, it doesn't matter what it is. (Technically probability 1). I then draw a second the probability if matches the existing card is 3/51. The third card probability if it matches the first two is = 2/50. The fourth card's probability if matches the other three = 1/49. So the probability of four of a kind is 1 * (3/51) * (2/50) * (1/49) = (7/124950)= 1/17850 or 5/6 x 10^-5

And this is why our teacher said we should not play pokers because the odds are stacked against us and that is why they call it gambling. The odds are that you will always lose all your money to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment